Downsizing: Building A Small Home


I am preparing to move on to my own property and build a tiny house. I am focused on a one year time frame, that has all ready began ticking away. My first step was to leave the corporate world, and begin working for myself. The next step was to find and secure a rental home, that is affordable. As I was living in an apartment. In the apartment, we seemed to be stepping over each other, and there was no place to store items I plan to secure, buy, barter or trade for to use for my new home. Now, to locate a piece of property that I plan to be on in ten months. While downsizing, I will have to learn what I need exactly, and to teach my son the difference between quantity and quality. As a child, I was taught the standard, of bigger is better, get more, buy more, in fact, a quarter of all American's have to rent storage space for all those goodies! So, what is the sense of owning more, more, more if I don't use the items? I am putting together my introduction today, and will update regularly as I pull together my version of the American Dream.
With so many plans available, I still have to make a final choice.
As a child during the 60's and 70's, and an young adult of the 80's I was taught the American way.  Bigger is better, and who ever has the most wins. 
Life runs in a circle.  We leave our parents homes, and make our own place in the world.  Usually that means a small place to start.  As we begin to acquire material items, we find the need for more space.  More space brings more things to put in that space.  And with many of us, that young adult hood, creeps into adult hood, marriage and children.  Before we know it, we have a home, and people to share it with, but those people all have belongings of their own.
We go from toys and posters and sports equipment of our own, to tripping over toys spread across living rooms, belonging to our children.  And as those children grow, so does the need for their own space and the cycle starts again.
But, what happens to that room, the one they had at their parents house?  The house in now too big.  The children have moved on, and the parents are left to bumble around in a big, empty nest.
Imagine my mothers situation.  We went from a large four bedroom home in the suburbs to a smaller, but still four bedroom home further out, closer to the boondocks.  Ten years later, and four children out of the nest, my mother had no need for that four bedroom home.  And moved to a two bedroom apartment in the city.  Eventually, she would downsize further, to a one bedroom, studio flat. And then into her children's homes.  Back to just the one bedroom, like in her own parents home over 40 years before, as a teen.
The cycle had been completed for my mother.  She had gone from one room, to a small place of her own, to a bigger place, to a still bigger place, to the biggest place, and then reversed back down to one room.  She was at the same amount of space as in the beginning.  Only difference is she had picked up all kinds of material belongings and memories along the way.

Comments